We believe every child should leave our school fully prepared for life in an ever changing modern society. We therefore provide a broad and balanced curriculum supported by quality careers education, information advice and guidance to develop every young person’s values, skills and behaviours that they will need to get on and succeed in life.
Bishopton Careers Team
All pupils will have access to a dedicated enthusiastic ambitious careers team.
Marie Clay- AP and careers manager
Alison Tokat -Teacher
Lisa Wilkes- Teacher Assistant
Esther Weir- Youth Directions
Sarah Shaughnessy – Youth Directions
Tom Atkinson- Youth Directions
Bishopton Careers Programme
Key Stage 3
Key Stage 4
The Careers Programme is subject to ongoing monitoring and evaluation and is mapped to the Gatsby Benchmarks. The Careers Lead Marie Clay reports to the head teacher every half term with information including NEET figures for the last 3 years, stakeholder feedback and impact of the programme. The schools monitors its progress mapped to the benchmarks through the Compass Tool.
Pupil support at Bishopton
At Bishopton we offer and range of support to pupils to ensure they receive quality careers guidance from Key stage 3 to year 11 and beyond. We work closely with Youth Directions to support young students, we also have a dedicated careers team in house to support our students.
Some of the key support students can access is:
- Access to independent and impartial information, advice and guidance to every pupil, by Youth Direction.
- Access to external sources of information on the full range of employment, education and training options to all year groups. We have close links to a range of local colleges.
- Opportunities to engage with a range of employers and training providers who cover the and the full range of academic and technical routes available at each transition point.
- We have a dedicated careers team at Bishopton who support children across the curriculum. We have two members of staff who are currently completing the CEIAG level 4 and 6 careers qualification.
- We welcome into our school a wide range of external speakers to inspire and engage our pupils. They often come from a variety of backgrounds and often have a personal and inspiring story to tell.
- We hold events throughout the academic year to support in the development of pupil’s confidence and understanding about career choices.
- All year 11 students have the opportunity to participate in employability and life skills sessions, to develop a range of skills that are fundamental to their future.
- Some students are given the opportunity to attend a vocational placement that supports with their future aspirations.
- In KS4 we hope to offer extended work experience to all pupils to experience a real working environment, this is a high priority area to develop once work places are able to open their doors fully after Covid-19 pandemic.
Investors in Careers Quality mark
“This was an excellent submission for the full award. As a consultant for a number of years I would have no hesitation in recommending that any other PRU wishing to improve their CEAIG delivery should contact or visit Bishopton as a beacon of Best Practice.”
Bishopton achieved the Quality in Careers Standard award in December 2017.
Please see below link for latest policy:
Below are a number of links to organisations that can support anyone who requires further information:
- http://icould.com/. A careers information website.
- https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/Pages/Home.aspx. Provides information, advice and guidance to help people make decisions on learning, training and work opportunities. The service also offers confidential impartial advice supported by qualified careers advisers.
- http://www.ascl.org.uk/help-and-advice/help-and-advice.your-guide-to-apprenticeships.html Information about apprenticeships.
- http://www.jobhero.com/choosing-career-guide/ Provides guidance on choosing a career.
Please find link for Bishoptons Investing in futures strategy: