Food and Nutrition information for website
This scheme of work has been developed to enable pupils to learn where food comes from, how to cook a range of dishes safely and hygienically and to apply their knowledge of healthy eating.
Pupils will have the opportunity to work through the following contexts:
- Domestic and local (home and health);
- Industrial (food and agriculture).
- Pupils will develop their knowledge and understanding of ingredients and healthy eating;
- Pupils will develop food preparation and cooking techniques;
- Pupils will develop their knowledge of consumer food and drink choice;
- Pupils will be able to apply their knowledge to make informed choices;
- Pupils will develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently;
- Pupils will build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high quality products for a wide range of users;
- Pupils will evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
Learning outcomes overview
Through this scheme of work, pupils will:
- Recall and apply the principles of The Eatwell Guide and the 8 tips for healthy eating, to their own diet;
- Demonstrate a range of food preparation and cooking techniques;
- Adapt and follow recipes using appropriate ingredients and equipment to prepare and cook a range of dishes;
- Recall and apply the principles of food safety and hygiene;
- Identify how and why people make different food and drink choices;
- Demonstrate the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to engage in an iterative process of designing and making;
- Be given regular opportunities to demonstrate and apply their knowledge and understanding of food science;
- Be given regular opportunities to consolidate their literacy and numeracy skills by using them purposefully in order to learn
NCFE Vcert in Food and Cookery Level 1 and 2
The NCFE Level 1 and Level 21 Certificates in Food and Cookery are complementary Technical Awards and the vocational equivalent of GCSE qualifications. This qualification focuses on an applied study of the food and cookery sector and learners will gain a broad knowledge and understanding of working in the sector. It is appropriate for learners who are motivated and challenged by learning through hands-on experiences and through content, which is concrete and related directly to those experiences.
This qualification shows learners how:
- To prepare themselves and the environment for cooking;
- Factors affect food choice and selection;
- Important a balanced diet is and reference intake;
- To adapt recipes to make them healthier;
- To plan and produce dishes for a purpose.